Future Students Overview



Applying to a major university can be tedious, especially for non-traditional students like veterans. While we can't change the requirements that the Office of Admissions has set, we are here for you if you need help along the way. Choose whether or not you're using the GI Bill first, and we will walk you through the admissions process from there.

"Do I really need to submit my Joint Services Transcripts?"
Yes. Yes you do.


Note: The following steps are a condensed version of the instructions provided by the Military-Connected Benefits and Certifications Office.

Access the full version here


Complete your application for admission to the University of Arizona. You'll want to make sure all of your documents are in order. See our FAQ below for some questions that have come up for other students.



If you are a dependent, ensure the service member has transferred their benefits to you by completing a Transfer of Entitlement while still on active duty. If you are the service member or veteran, go to Step Three.

Learn More


Apply for or transfer your benefits to be used at the U of A by completing the necessary forms:
Veteran (Post 9/11 GI Bill & Montgomery GI Bill): 
VA Form 22-1990 for first time use; VA Form 22-1995 if you’ve used the GI Bill at another school
Dependents with transferred benefits: VA Form 22-1990E
Chapter 35 (DEA): VA Form 22-5495
Chapter 31 (Voc Rehab): Counselor needs to send VA Form 28-1905 to UArizona

GI Bill Website


Register with VA eBenefits. This will allow you to check your payment history and update your contact information, as well as several other features.

VA eBenefits


Once you've been accepted, complete your Next Steps Center to-do list. While you won't be able to interact with Next Steps Center itself until you're admitted, the link below will connect you to a ton of resources and information about the process.

UArizona Next Steps Center


Sit back, breathe, and relax. If anything comes up during the process, just reach out to us. If it's specific to the GI Bill, please direct your questions to the Military-Connected Benefits & Certifications Office. Their phone number is 520-621-9501. You can email them via veterans@arizona.edu or click the link below to visit their website.



The process for students who aren't using the GI Bill or Tuition Assistance is essentially the same as traditional new and transfer students. Visit Admissions to learn more and to apply

Frequently Asked Question

GI Bill specific FAQs Here

Q: How do I submit my transfer and/or Joint Services Transcripts (JST) for evaluation?
A: When completing your UArizona application for admission, you'll report JST credit in the transfer credit section. You'll list "Joint Services Transcript" under the "institution" box. Check out the University of Arizona's guide for military credits. Additionally, the Transfer Credit & Articulation Office conducts walk-in evaluations of your credit.

Q: How many military credits can I transfer towards my bachelor’s degree at the University of Arizona?
A: Up to 30 documented credits from your military transcripts may apply toward your undergraduate degree.

Q: I submitted my JSTs or other credit, but I don't believe that those credits have been applied to my degree appropriately. What do I do?
A: There is an appeals process that gives you the chance to get a second look at your situation.

Q: Are there scholarships for veterans?
A: The availability of veteran-specific scholarships varies from semester to semester. Once you're a student, you'll have access to Scholarship Universe, the University of Arizona's scholarship portal. As veteran scholarships become available, we will post them on our website. 

Q: Will I have to attend orientation?
A: Yes. Orientation is your opportunity to learn crucial aspects of student life, whether it's how to select classes or simply area-familiarization. There is also a mandatory orientation session for our military connected students that will go over the GI Bill as well as what resources are available to all military-connected students independent of benefit usage. For more info about our orientation, click here.

Q: I have questions about campus, Tucson, the VA Healthcare System, or something else. Is there a "veteran advisor" on campus?
A: Not exactly, no. However, our campus prides itself on placing value on military-connected students, and a large number of staff and faculty have gone through our Veteran Alliance training. Additionally, VETS employs a team of Peer Advocate Liaisons (PALS) who have lived similar experiences and who are here to help you out with all the "other stuff" that isn't covered at orientation or in the application process. Visit our PALS website to learn more and to reach out! Finally, the University of Arizona has charged a few of their admissions and enrollment counselors with helping military-connected students. Here is their contact information:

UArizona Main Campus (Tucson): Linda Harrison| 520.621.8328
Arizona Online: onlineadmissions@arizona.edu| 520-621-0898
UArizona Distance (Sierra Vista, Phoenix, etc): Michelle Menninger | 520.458.8278
UArizona Graduate Programs: Kevin Alexander| 520.626.2411


Our goal at VETS is to make the transition from service to college as easy as possible, and to assist dependents and spouses who need it as well. If you find yourself needing support on anything above, don't hesitate to contact Stephen Westby, VETS Student Director of First Year Experiences.